DE14 Julian Bleecker
A Catalog of an Extraordinary Future When It Becomes An Ordinary Today
[|(VIDEO LINK REQUIRED)]
Near Future Laboratory (NFL)
Summary: video dispatch of ordinary everyday future optimistic v pessimistic future in between is the ordinary everyday NFL produced a catalogue of experiences and artefacts TBD Catalog Volume 9 Issue 24 - sense of a future that isn't as spectacular as that which is normally presented. It is closer to the present with different kinds of characters. Language might shift but similar ideas as the future which was presented 20 years ago. Breakfast cereal with vitamins - now with brain altering chemicals to make your children smarter.
The trick is trying to present objects that will seem normal in the future. We are now living in the future of 20 years ago. Cordless phones are now hyper ordinary. They are no longer spectacular or extraordinary.
The catalogue takes speculation and tries to camouflage it (locate it) in intense ordinariness As with software, sometimes an update (an object of the future) does not improve the experience, it can insert bugs, require a new way of learning how to interact and operate.
By tweaking the way a future product is presented (catalogue, consumable) audiences can engage with it in a new way. Develops conversation around these ideas.
Questions Within Audience
Was anyone present at DE14 part of the product development?
- Scott Smith - yes. describes the process was similar to the Football Newspaper
- Came from Sky Mall duty-free premise. Scott Smith Football - Newspaper. Both used a wireframe to build the ideas of futures into.
- Needed to start with a frame and to then map scenarios onto the wireframe.
- Allows story elements to be woven in through the experience.
- There are already companies working on this at a non ironic level.
- Scenarios are free-form - but the catalogue / newspaper provide a way of extruding the essence of story out.
- Acts also a artefact of the contemporary understanding of the future.
- Skymall sells an aspirational idea of an individual future and old issues act as an archive.
- Important to find objects and artefacts that are usefully mundane that can act as alternate platforms to deliver provocative concepts. (Microfutures)
- Microfutures fragment over time. An explorational hike through the future.
product catalogues designed to start conversations - what are the expected venues of dialogue?
- don't know the NFL agenda or intentions. There is some strategic intent.
what are the usual venues of NFL discussions?
- designers, product development, media and entertainment. A field somewhat isolated from the rest of the world.
- A window dressing exercise - difficulty of getting organisations to map creativity to organisational attention spans related to foresight.
- young strategic consultancy firms are trying to present their approach and services in as attractive and inspirational format as possible.